Aug 12, 2010

Learning.

Last month, I started painting a word on canvas, and thought it would turn out better than it did. I'm so unhappy with the results, I don't even want to show it (yes, it's that bad). So once again, I have no artwork to show.

I did learn from it though. I started out with a rough sketch, and thought once I got it on canvas, the paint would form the letterforms and I would improvise as I went along. This was not the case. Instead, the letterforms came out looking poorly constructed and weird.

Next time, I'm going to approach the process differently. If I want to include typography in my paintings, I really need to focus on the letterforms more and make a tight sketch before transferring it to the canvas to paint (duh). I should have known better than to slap a loose sketch on canvas and think it would magically work itself out...

Which brings me to another part of the process— transferring a sketch to a larger canvas. I don't like to sketch directly on canvas. I find the pressure from the pencil/pen and erasing disrupts the surface and would rather work my ideas out on paper. So to transfer my sketch onto canvas, I usually use a technique from my design school days that is similar to using graphite paper. This process can get annoying, especially when the canvas is larger than the transfer paper, which then I have to tile my sketch together.

As a solution, I've been thinking about getting an artist projector, which would make the transfer process easier and more accurate.

It's hard to say when I will have some progress to post about, but I'm not giving up on this yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment